pkg builders order of jobs

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun May 9 19:17:52 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 3:40 AM Stefan Esser <se at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Am 09.05.21 um 12:22 schrieb Ronald Klop:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On the pkg builders the list of builds is ordered on git hash.
> > http://beefy18.nyi.freebsd.org/jail.html?mastername=main-amd64-default
> > (NB: ipv6 only)
> >
> > This ordering is totally random to me. With svn the list was naturally
> ordered
> > because of the incremental commit id.
> >
> > Is it possible to add the commit count to the job-name like
> sys/conf/newvers.sh
> > in base?
> > git_cnt=$($git_cmd rev-list --first-parent --count HEAD 2>/dev/null)
>
> Adding the start-time of the build in ISO format would also be highly
> appreciated, at least by me ;-)
>
> The date should reflect the time of the last commit that has been
> considered. Such a time stamp would let me see with little effort
> whether a failure is due to a long running build job that did not
> catch-up with the latest fixes to a port, or whether there still is
> an issue with a port (especially for the "exotic" architectures that
> I do not test on my system and that often need a lot longer to complete
> a build job).
>
> Regards, STefan

I would suggest doing some optimization. Too often a very time consuming
build is started well into the process. I mean things that take over 24
hours to build like chromium or electron11. Otherwise on smaller builds, a
lot of time can be wasted as one or two slots on the build machines
finishing one of the big builds and the other 15 slots idle. This does not
happen frequently, but it does happen. With many build cycles exceeding 90
hours, any optimization would be helpful.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com