Ports recompile for 13.0-RELEASE

John Kennedy warlock at phouka.net
Tue May 4 15:02:17 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 08:10:38AM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:
> With the move to FreeBSD 13.0 is there a simple (single step) way to reinstall all the current ports other than saving off a list of the ports and then stepping through that list to reinstall them? It was very inefficient when moving to 12.0 as many ports in the list, of course, were dependent on other ports, but then got recompiled, sometimes multiple times. I know I ended up in a make loop where came was compiled over and over again until I aborted, listed the current ports, differ on the previous ports, and picked a port I though would have a lot of reps to restart the compile. I then did this several more times to get back to where I had been on 11.x
>
> And there's still no way to tell if a port was installed from pkg or from ports, correct? Since I use MariaDB instead of MySQLI have to be sure I don't try to use package for anything that will try to install MySQL instead.
>
> And finally, the release of 13.0 ends the 12.x versions, right? There will not be a 12.3.
>
> (And yes, I've tried moving to poudrerie several times and we do not get on. At all.)

  If you can get everything into a pkg repo, "pkg upgrade -f" should reinstall
everything regardless of if pkg thinks it needs to.  I suspect that your
problem is minimum proper rebuilding rather than reinstallation.

  I just keep a list of packages I want (vs all build dependencies), which
made my what-needs-rebuilding list much smaller (the dependency list is
huge, but I didn't need to track that).  I have a list of 58 packages I
want installed, but have 494 packages installed for dependencies and I think
the build total (some build dependencies don't get installed) is 600+.

  Your story is reminding me about my portmaster problems back in the day
(that drove me to try poudriere, not get it, try synth, then run on synth
until I ran into other issues (arm64) that remotivated me to learn poudriere).
I know there is someone that has tried to fix portmaster in the meantime, but
I think the basic issue is that there are, and will continue to be, issues
with incompatible build dependencies that are "solved" by clean-room build
systems which are probably the cause of some of those make loops.

  The last time I had this conversation, someone who had been beating on
portmaster spoke up about the work they'd been doing to try and get the
clean-room work added to it, but I don't know about the status of that.  I
think you're going to be aggravated until you find a ports management fix that
works for you.