Lessons from the PHP git repo "hack"

Felix Palmen felix at palmen-it.de
Wed Mar 31 13:58:29 UTC 2021

* @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> [20210331 07:47]:
> Which brings me to the reason for this post, as it seems that the
> ports collection of FreeBSD 13.x will be in the same position, running
> a private git server network and using GitHub as a mirror and I wonder
> if some lessons from php's experience with this should be considered
> for this setup before it's implemented.

Apart from the fact there's only one ports tree…

I'd say the lesson is keep your systems updated and pay attention to
keep your credentials safe/secret. I don't see how Github would prevent
such an incident any better.

--
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix at palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de