Python 2.7 removal outline

Dan Mahoney (Ports) freebsd at gushi.org
Wed Mar 24 21:50:10 UTC 2021

There are packages for mailman3 but they’re incomplete and don’t result in a working install the way the 2.x build does.  You also need mysql, django, etc etc.

Needing django is almost as bad as saying “sure, the web UI depends on WordPress”.  It’s not standalone cgi’s that you can just scriptalias in to apache, and the documentation leaves a lot fo be desired.

I’ve been in touch with Mark Sapiro (current maintainer of mailman 2.x, limping along in critical-patches-only mode) and 3.x, and have other friends on the maint team.  Mark has committed to making some time to make 3.x work as simply as 2.x does, as it lowers his support load.

At some point, I want to sit down with the code and come up with a “okay, if a port doesn’t provide this, here’s at least a howto”.

Day job uses mailman2 (we’re a company that makes some DNS software that you’ve probably heard of), so this is of interest both for personal reasons as well as community.

If anyone else is currently maintaining a mailman3 port, please get in touch!

-Dan