TCL and Unicode

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Mon Mar 22 13:40:07 UTC 2021

Hey all,

I'm tracking down a regression in ports regarding TCL and unicode. The
primary victim of the problem is databases/sqlite3. Note that I use
freebsd-ports on github as my upstream, so I'll be using git commit
hashes from that repo.

The sqlite3 build failure can be seen at [1].

If I revert commit 787aad81fc79d441fb0c9a750e6e33b6c0ea7ac6, sqlite3
builds fine. I noticed a few key changes from that commit:

The build of sqlite3 depends on TCL: instead of using the distfile
that has the autoconf artifacts pre-generated, the distfile without
the autoconf artifacts is used (changing from
sqlite-autoconf-3340100.tar.gz to sqlite-src-3340100.zip). This
means that the TCL-based autoconf artifacts must be generated
locally. At least, partially. It seems that the only part of the
build that depends on TCL is the sqlite3_analyzer.

Admittedly, this change is somewhat confusing to me. I'm having
somewhat of a hard time knowing whether it's TCL or sqlite3 itself
as the main culprit.

Any guidance is appreciated.

[1]: http://ci-08.md.hardenedbsd.org/data/hardenedbsd-current_amd64-local/2021-03-21_13h53m43s/logs/errors/sqlite3-3.34.1,1.log

Thanks,