Port: astro/sunclock: Malaysia is in the wrong time zone

raf freebsd at raf.org
Mon Mar 22 02:32:22 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 02:57:43PM +0800, Erich Dollansky <freebsd.ed.lists at sumeritec.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it looks to me that the solution is here:
>
> /usr/local/share/sunclock/earthmaps/vmf
>
> There should be somewhere an editor for files like them. It could be
> this:
>
> https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Map_Format
>
> Erich

It's not that format. That's a map format for half-life.

The vmf here stands for Vector Map Format. And it's probably
not the vector map format mentioned here either:

  https://github.com/Autoware-AI/autoware.ai/issues/1158

It looks like a sunclock-specific text format that can only be
edited manually. But the format is documented in the source.

Here's a time zone map image that shows the same kind
of lines as those in vmf/timezones.vmf:

  https://www.worldtimezone.com/

Actually, the time zone lines there match those in the vmf file.
It looks like it's only the colour of (West) Malaysia that's wrong.
It doesn't match the colour of (East) Malaysia even though they are
in the same segment.

That might make it easier to fix (or maybe not). I'll try to find
Malaysia in the timezones.vmf file but it looks tricky.

cheers,
raf