Testing www/chromium before installing

Michael Gmelin grembo at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 13 18:21:08 UTC 2021

> On 13. Mar 2021, at 18:51, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 06:11:06PM +0100, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>>

>>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 08:50:07 -0800
>>> bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Michel,

>>> Never heard of it, and can't find any obvious references.
>>> Is there a description somewhere?
>>
>> It's one of the seven main targets of building a port:
>>
>> - extract
>> - patch
>> - configure
>> - build
>> - stage
>> - install
>> - package
>>
>> It installs the port into STAGEDIR (by default work/stage). Install and
>> package copy files from STAGEDIR, so usually stage is run implicitly.
>> See /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk for details (documentation isn't great,
>> most of it is from when the big conversion to STAGEDIR happened a
>> couple of years ago).
>>
>> To give you a simple port as an example
>>
>> # cd /usr/ports/editors/joe
>> # make stage
>> # find work/stage -type f -perm +111
>> work/stage/usr/local/bin/joe
>>
>> Same should work with chromium (you might need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> in case chromium comes with its own libraries).
>>

> Thank you! Found the executable, and it suffers from the same problem
> as the old version: The controls drop-down menu (right of the URL bar)
> is non-persistent and can't be used. The new version does seem to run
> faster, which is a step forward.
>
> It's surprising that a simple
> find . -name stage
> didn't discover the directory, but did discover those for node,
> in the same subtree.  The exact syntax you provided seems to be
> required.
>
>> Oh, alternatively you could of course simply make a backup of your
>> current chromium package:
>>
>>  pkg create chromium
>>
>> Which you then can re-install in case the new version doesn't work as
>> expected: pkg add chromium-someversion.txz
>>

> The sources for the existing version of chromium are long overwritten,
> can a package be constructed from installed files?

Yes, “pkg create” creates a package from what is installed on a system (package database and installed files).

You can use “pkg create -a” to create tarballs for all installed packages (useful before doing major surgery or to transfer a full package set to a different system). Check “man pkg-create” for details.

-m