Problems with updating a port due to top directory in tarball

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Mar 7 08:35:52 UTC 2021

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 10:15 PM Hiroo Ono <hiroo.ono at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2021年3月4日木曜日 9時00分32秒 JST, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>> I'm trying to update a port I maintain. Since I last updated, it moved
>> from
>>> ISC to github and it uses unusual naming conventions.
>>>
>>> The distfile is "irrtoolset/archive/release-5.1.3.tar.gz". I can work
>>> around this with a DIST_SUBDIR and DISTNAME, but when the extract takes
>>> place,  the top directory in the tarball is "irrtoolset-release-5.1.3".
>>> Since this is not expected, patch fails.
>>
>> If it is same as what is tagged as "release-5.1.3",
>>
>> DISTVERSIONPREFIX=      release-
>> DISTVERSION=    5.1.3
>> USE_GITHUB=     yes
>> GH_ACCOUNT=     irrtoolset
>> GH_PROJECT=     irrtoolset
>>
>> should work.
>> cf.
>>
>> https://docs.freebsd.org/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-distfiles.html#makefile-master_sites-github-description
>>
>> Thanks you very much! The update to the port has been submitted and is
> awaiting a committer. Looking at the Porter's Handbook, I now understand
> how it works, but it would have taken a VERY long time to figure it all out
> without your help! (Might have taken until the heat death of the universe.)

I also was hitting some issues with this for opendmarc, which recently
moved from Sourceforge to Github.  Well, moved a while ago but put out its
first github-exclusive release recently.

For some of the process, portsfiles just plain didn't try to fetch.  Even
when I copied the relevant variables verbatim from another port.

Despite having the porter's handbook open lots, there were many things I
had to just go read the files in /usr/ports/Mk to figure out.

There could definitely be more recipes.  One example: how to correctly
handle a port that uses an RPM.  Or multiple RPMs.