Creating port from pre-built package

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 12 07:52:55 UTC 2021

Am 11.02.21 um 18:12 schrieb Shawn Webb:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 06:09:52PM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>> Hi all,

>>> Reverse engineer a package? I think that will violate the NDA you
>>> signed. ;-)
>>>
>>> Really. Unless the package is simply a wrapper of a binary blob. You'll
>>> need to *build* the port, as part of the package creation process.
>>> That is, unless I've *completely* misunderstood your intent here. :-)
>>
>> The binary package is provided by the software manufacturer without
>> source code.
>>
>> Still one might want to have a port available so one can put the port
>> in poudriere and have it available in one's own package repo.
>>

> Right, I'm not aiming to recompile the software. I'm looking to simply
> create a new package.txz with the pre-built artifacts included.

Adding to the previous mail on how a FreeBSD port might be used to
install this binary package:

Be sure to be allowed to re-package the binary distribution that
you want to use in this port. The license may explicitly forbid the
distribution of derived works of any kind.

Do also set the LICENSE and specifically the LICENSE_PERMS variable
in the port's Makefile to indicate whether the FreeBSD package that
will be built from this port may be created, distributed, possibly
also sold.

Regards, STefan