Question on figuring out category for new port

Adam Jimerson vendion at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 03:28:51 UTC 2021

On Sunday, February 7, 2021 9:05:31 PM EST Kubilay Kocak wrote:
> www/py-adblock [1] as its primary use will be in and for browsers (in
> this case qutebrowser (also in www)

Thanks for your input, that was my main thinking as well as to why it might go
under the www category.

> One may consider adding 'net' as a secondary if it can be used outside
> the browser (www) context (say like a pihole thingy)

Interesting thought, I don't see why other programs/projects wouldn't be able
to also use this port as it basically adds python bindings around the already
existing rust API exposed by the project.

> [1] noting the "canonical" and registered PyPI name from this project is
> 'adblock' not 'python-adblock' (the repo name)

Yeah I already figured that the port should have the "py-" prefix in the name to
follow the FreeBSD naming convention for python ports, even though the name is
not consistent between the repo and PyPI. Thus the port would be "py-adblock"
in the ports tree as well as follow the naming convention for the python
flavors "py36-", "py37-" when packaged.