No update for a day on ports?

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 21:22:13 UTC 2021

Felix Palmen felix at palmen-it.de wrote on
Sat Apr 3 20:35:46 UTC 2021 :

> * Mark Millard via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> [20210403 10:02]:
> > Felix Palmen felix at palmen-it.de wrote on
> > > There was an announcement to deprecate it, but it's still built with
> > > releng/13 so far, and I'd be surprised if the snapshots for it wouldn't
> > > be available any more. Deprecation of portsnap AFAIK isn't directly
> > > related to moving to git. (someone correct me please if I'm wrong)
> >
> > /usr/sbin/portsnap is just a shell script:
> --snip--
>
> Please see the original announcement for context:
> <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2020-August/119098.html>

Good point:

QUOTE
* Make WITHOUT_PORTSNAP default in base. Currently not certain when this
will happen. May not happen before 13.0, but hopefully it will.

* Eventually, portsnap servers will see low enough usage they can be
disabled.
END QUOTE

Even if WITHOUT_PORTSNAP was the default, the wording suggests that
WITH_PORTSNAP would be allowed for a time.

And it suggests that portsnap servers disabling would be based on
monitoring usage of the servers.

> In a nutshell: It was *planned* to no longer build portsnap by default
> in 13. Now, it's still built, so I assume that's intentional and
> snapshots will still be available (for some time).

Seems so.

> These snapshots aren't provided by SVN, therefore I doubt having ports
> in GIT will cause any technical trouble creating them?

The /usr/ports/ content provided by portsnap is extracted from
SVN historically and will have to be extracted from git going
forward. I expect that there is some implementation change to
have the materials show up in the portsnap servers. I'm
not claiming to estimate how difficult the change would be.

> Side note: your postings have no meaningful References and therefore
> don't show up in the correct location in the thread, maybe check your
> mail client?

Sorry for such problems.

>  And please don't CC me, I'm reading the list.

Okay, but long term I may not remember. I've gotten
requests for the other way as well and I'm not likely
to try to track all the individual preferences in any
reliable manor.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com