Understanding different port counts

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Nov 19 16:30:00 UTC 2020

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Moritz Schmitt <moritz at schmi.tt> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a big difference between the number of ports on
> freebsd.org/ports/ and on freshports.org. Currently, it's 33348 vs.
> 41346.
>
> The freebsd.org's number equals roughly the number of lines of a current
> INDEX, but how does FreshPorts count?

Hello,

I'm glad you asked, because both sites are wrong.  I'm going to fix FreshPorts because it is including commits to ports on branches in that total. That's not right.

When ignoring branches, the FreshPorts count is 28,759

The FreeBSD total might be based on INDEX-12. In that count, each flavor counts as a port. Here is some data from that file:

* py27-atspi-2.38.0|/usr/ports/accessibility/py-atspi
* py37-atspi-2.38.0|/usr/ports/accessibility/py-atspi

FreshPorts treats that as one port, accessibility/py-atspi

If you remove the 'duplicates' from INDEX-12, the count is 28,759 which is much closer to what FreshPorts believes the count it.

It is also close to this count:

[dan at pkg01:~/ports/head] $ grep -h SUBDIR */Makefile | wc -l
   28756

I put more information than you wished to read in this blog post:

https://news.freshports.org/2020/11/18/how-many-ports-are-there/

Hope that helps.

—
Dan Langille