pkg: how to retrieve the messages ports emit after install?

Stefan Eßer se at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 18 14:50:32 UTC 2020

Am 18.03.20 um 15:18 schrieb Chris:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 08:27:29 +0000 Bob Eager rde at tavi.co.uk said
>
>> On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 23:28:49 -0700
>> Chris <portmaster at BSDforge.com> wrote:
>>
>> > OK I'm a by ports make install as a rule. But I needed to
>> > spin up a box quickly, and decided to use pkg(8). xorg,
>> > and another port (package) I installed, dumped some
>> > important information after the install. I stripped the
>> > text from the console/terminal, and tried to paste it into
>> > a fresh file. But the new graphics drivers don't allow
>> > that sort of thing (graphics vs text mode). So I was left
>> > with mostly gibberish. I need to get that information back.
>> > I just guessed that pkg message <port-name> might do it.
>> > But no joy. How can I retrieve that information?
>>
>> Simple!
>>
>>  pkg info -D pkgname
>>
>> (or pkg info --pkg-message pkgname)
> --pkg-message, argh... I was *so* close!
> Thanks, Bob. Really appreciated!
> and for the record. I *did* read the man page. But as others
> were also inclined to suggest; I thought the output would be
> related to *query*

I do actually prefer the version I suggested based on
pkg query, since I find it quite hard to see message
boundaries in the pkg info output.

With pkg query you can introduce any kind of separators
(even multi-line) in the format string (and also print
the origin and other information along with the message).

Regards, STefan