Which u-boot for rpi3? u-boot-rpi3-32 or the old one?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 06:12:11 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:22 PM bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 09:59:24PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> >

> > On 2020-Jun-16, at 21:34, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Just noticed there are now two u-boot ports for the RPi3, one
> > > called u-boot-rpi3-32 and (the presumably original) u-boot-rpi3.
> > >
> > > The descriptions are equally bland, what's the difference?
> > > The goal is to boot a recent snapshot of -current from USB
> > > using a Pi3b (no +). Now it's suffering from cpu_reset failed.
> >
> > Looking, the check in history for sysutils/u-boot-rpi3-32
>
> Could you write a few words about how one checks such history?
> There doesn't seem to be anything in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

You need to go to the web interface to the SVN repo for FreeBSD,
http://svnweb.freebsd.org
and walk down the tree. For ports, you probably want the ports->head repo.
Then select the group and port of interest. You probably want to select
Makefile and you can scroll down to what you are looking for. You'll need
to play around to get a hang of how to do various things, but every commit
ever made to FreeBSD since at least version 2.2 and I think before that as
well as all ports from their creation.

The repo is an incredible resource for looking for reasons for changes and,
especially, to track down the commit that introduced a bug. That's how I
tracked down a recent issue with 12.1-Stable that was panicking my system
when I started a VirtualBox VM. I had no idea of how to fix it, but I knew
who made the commit and, when I contacted him, I had a workaround in less
than an hour and a fix in about 4 hours. It didn't take that long, but I
was away from my system for a while Sunday evening before seeing the
response with the patch. Obviously, the committer was not taking the
evening off. (Thanks again, Mark!)
--
Kevin Oberman, retired Network Engineer