set_rcvar() function use?

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 4 05:11:29 UTC 2020

Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <34921b6e-ce3a-13e4-0cc1-3ca47b5a9cef at FreeBSD.org>:

0m> >  I am planning to revisit the multi-instance support shortly because I
0m> >  am using it for a long time and I think it is useful.  While I did
0m> >  not receive a strong objection to it so far, it is also true that
0m> >  adopting the set_rcvar() style was not discussed properly.  I would
0m> >  like more feedback before moving forward.
0m>
0m> AFAIR, manu@ was concerned at some point that using set_rcvar() extensively
0m> might result in slowdowns on embedded systems.

 A discussion in the past about the performance was an additional
 fork(2) when using set_rcvar() for rc_var=`set_rcvar`.  The use case
 of the resurrected one is "set_rcvar A B" as a replacement of "A=B",
 and it does not involve a subshell.

 I agree that the performance perspective should also be discussed,
 though.  The current rc.subr and network.subr already have more
 expensive operations, so we might want to gather profiling
 information.

-- Hiroki