Xfce, xfce4-terminal, and UTF-8

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Dec 31 20:11:56 UTC 2020

I set LOCALE to en_US.UTF-8 and LC_CTYPE to C.  Upon login, I run
setxkbmap -option compose:lwin.  Consequently, I can enter all the
UTF-8 characters I need, such as é, ç, and even ™, into most X-based
programs I run.  When I first set this up, over a year ago, it also
worked for xfce4-terminal, but that stopped working earlier this
year.  (At this point, I can't tell you when exactly, because I
just worked around the problem with mousepad as necessary.)  Does
anyone know the correct fix for this?

Happy New Year, and let's all have a great FreeBSD-based 2021!
-- George