portmaster new development

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 28 13:16:42 UTC 2020

Am 28.12.20 um 11:11 schrieb abi via freebsd-ports:> I build my ports in
poudriere in VM without zfs or ssd on pre-Sandy
> Bridge CPU. I don't have enough memory or disk space, so I don't use
> tmpfs or ccache either. I migrated from portmaster when it was abandoned
> several years ago and don't think I'll come back, especially if new
> portmaster will be written on bash. The idea behind portmaster was zero
> dependencies, so it doesn't brake after major upgrades.

You are free to use poudriere and it definitely is the official tool
for FreeBSD package building (and I have to use it myself and it has
cost me a lot of time rebuilding broken poudriere jails and keeping
them in state that I can use them to test new ports on a number of
different releases as well as i386 plus amd64).

And while you are free to never again use portmaster, telling people
that it has been abandoned is just a _lie_ and I'd want to ask you to
stop telling it. It has been continuously maintained for decades.

The next version will not be using bash but LUA, which is highly
portable and does not have problematic dependencies. I'm well aware
that a pure shell script has its advantages, but bringing down the
time to scan for updates on my system from 300 to less than 10 seconds
(for > 2000 installed packages) combined with the ability to build
ports in a clean jail might make it an attractive choice for current
users of the /bin/sh based version.

Regards, STefan