Firefox build failure, was Re: Silent stoppage building www/chromium

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Sun Aug 30 21:52:18 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 09:40:21PM +0000, Marcel Bischoff wrote:
> Firefox has Rust as a dependency. In the past I have found that the build process for the latter easily overwhelms lean systems with little physical RAM. Regardless of swap space, quite unlike most other ports.

My error seems to have been using -j2 with make. Re-run using simply
make -DBATCH MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes
compilation kept going until reporting
gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/.build/toolkit/library/rust'
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/.build'
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/.build'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/.build'
*** Error code 1

but no further details are offered. It's been suggested to obtain
a backtrace, but looking at the man page that seems to require some
changes to the source, which I don't know how to do.

If somebody can suggest reading material I'll give it a try.

Thanks for replying,

bob prohaska