[HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Sun Aug 9 06:03:23 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 8:43:20 PM CEST Steve Wills wrote:
> We are planning to deprecate use of portsnap in ports.
>
> The reasons are as follows (in no particular order):
>
> * Portsnap doesn't support quarterly branches, even years after
> quarterly branches were created and changed to the default for non-HEAD
> packages.
[...]

The portsnap-servers seem to lack updates at the moment, so I decided to try
to switch to SVN.

I usually run `pkg version` to see what packages have changed.

Previously, that was a more or less instant operation, now it takes over 100
seconds. The problem is that /usr/ports/INDEX-12 is missing.

Looks like INDEX doesn't exist in SVN but was provided by portsnap. make index
takes several minutes, so that's a quite a downgrade from portsnap where I got
it for free.

Are there any faster ways to regenerate INDEX?
There's make fetchindex but that's not guaranteed to be in sync with the
latest SVN.