[HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 7 13:25:48 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 8/7/20 6:19 AM, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 01:24:00 -0400
> Steve Wills <swills at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,

[snip]

>> 2. Use svnlite to checkout a ports tree. (There will be git -> svn
>> replication.
>
> Will this be a long-term option?

I don't know yet exactly how long the git to svn migration is planned to
be maintained. I would expect quite some time.

[snip]
>> 3. Download a tar of the ports tree either from:
>>       https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/ports/ports/
>>
>> or cgit.
>
> Would work too, but relatively expensive. Also, how often would it be
> updated?

I believe that's updated daily and the tars from cgit are generated at
least that frequently, if not more.

Steve