[HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Ashish SHUKLA ashish at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 7 11:10:37 UTC 2020

On 8/6/20 6:05 PM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 02:11:10PM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:

>>> pkg install git comes to mind.
>>>

>> I obviously meant bootstrapping without relying on binary packages (for multiple reasons) >_<
>>
>> E.g., pulling a tarball (from a github mirror or some other place) using “fetch” to populate an intermediate ports tree to build git/other dependencies. Shouldn’t be hard to do and easy to document.
>
> Well, you can download the head of the main branch,
> https://cgit-beta.freebsd.org/ports/snapshot/main.tar.gz and extract it
> wherever you like.

Is there a similar seed file for subversion snapshot, that one can
download, extract, and "svn up" ?

I was trying to "svn co" the ports tree, and it keeps dying in the
middle of checkout every few minutes.

Thanks!
--
Ashish | GPG: F682CDCC39DC0FEAE11620B6C746CFA9E74FA4B0

“In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals.”
("Mahatma Gandhi", "Hind Swaraj", 1908)