[HEADS UP] Planned deprecation of portsnap

Andrea Brancatelli abrancatelli at schema31.it
Thu Aug 6 13:08:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-04 20:43, Steve Wills wrote:

> We welcome any constructive feedback. All input would be heard, and if the plans need to be amended, we will come back to you with the amended plan in a couple of weeks. This process will take some time and hopefully won't be too disruptive to anyone's usual workflow.

As a total random user with no direct role in the ports life, except
than being portsnap user, may I suggest that the "removal" may be
instead a "replace" of the portsnap binary with a script or whatever
that runs the "new-standard-method"?

I mean, it took me ages to learn portsnap fetch and portsnap update, if
I run them as usual I wouldn't care at all if behind the scenes it's
doing a svn update, a git fetch or whatever you choose.

I've been bitten hard by nslookup removal in the past year being done
the hard way while a gentle "factory built-in" alias nslookup =
host/dig/whatever would have saved me a lot of cursings...

Thanks.

---

Andrea Brancatelli