BLENDER 2.79

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Sat Apr 18 20:31:41 UTC 2020

Hello world :-)

I have been using Blender-2.79 from Shane's Red Ports repository on
GitHub because Blender since version 2.80 (current port is 2.82)
unfortunately removed the Blender Game Engine (BGE) which I am using
for work.

The only solution so far is to use older Blender2.79 that still has
the BGE. Blender developers just removed something with no alternative
and no plan for alternative. Luckily I found Shane's repository that
provides port for older version.

Another solution is to have UPBGE Blender 2.80 fork with experimental
and refreshed BGE included, unfortunately the BGE API has changed and
it is not backward-compatible.

My question is can we include both Blender-2.79 and UPBGE in the
official ports tree next to official Blender release? All dependencies
are provided, all of them works fine next to each other. It would be
really handy to have at least Blender-2.79 from PKG.

https://github.com/sambler/sambler-redports/tree/master/graphics/blender279
https://github.com/sambler/sambler-redports/tree/master/graphics/upbge

Best regards,
Tomek