python 2.7 marked as deprecated and EOL while 2.7.18 RC is available

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 17 22:51:57 UTC 2020

On 17 Apr 2020, at 14:11, Dewayne Geraghty <dewaynegeraghty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Its very confusing building ports at the moment.  At https://www.python.org/
> there is a release candidate for 2.7.18, while our python 2.7 has been
> marked as deprecated with an expiration date.  Can the Expiration Date of
> 2020-12-31 be retracted?
>
> It appears that devel/scons, at least, requires python 2.7 to run; though
> it builds with 3.7.

See https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/; python 2.x is now really
dead, and has been since 2020-01-01.

But it is unfortunately terribly confusing for end-users that they're
apparently still planning on shipping another "really final final"
2.7.18 version. A petition against this bad idea is here:

https://discuss.python.org/t/petition-abandon-plans-to-ship-a-2-7-18-in-april/2946

But basically, expect all python 2.x using ports to go away, unless they
get fixed to use python 3.x, or no python at all.

-Dimitry