Firebird25-server compiling and working on i386 but not in AMD64

Anatoly anatoly at kazanfieldhockey.ru
Fri Apr 3 18:18:35 UTC 2020

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 13:48:53 -0300
"Gelson Borsoi" <gelson at borsoi.com.br> wrote:

> My current server is running FreeBSD 9.2 64 Bits.
>
> I have installed many services, including Firebird 2.5.2
>
> It is a good hardware with 12GB of RAM, 2 processors and 4 SAS HDs.
>
> As I have spare Hd's, I decided to install FreeBSD 12.1 64 bits to
> test all services before transferring the data and putting it into
> production.
>
> All worked except for the Firebird25-server. Bus error.
>
> In LLDB it shows error in the libfbintl.so library: CVICU_convert_init
> (charset *) () from /usr/local/libexec/firebird/intl/fbintl.so
>
> As I am stubborn, I tested with FreeBSD 12.1 i386 and to my surprise
> the Firebird25-server worked 100%.
>
> The problem is that I don't want to install 32bits since I can't take
> advantage of the 12GB of RAM.
>
> In the forum I found a post indicating to compile with clang34 but
> this port is no longer available.
>
> Question: Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?
>
> How to compile firebird25-server in FreeBSD 12.1 64bits?

I know very little about firebird, but when I moved to FreeBSD 10.x,
I hit a problem with libiconv in base. PHP 5.x crashes on one web app,
And iconv binary crashes too while converting some russian texts. I
rebuild PHP against libiconv from ports and that fixed my problem. I
don't know if libiconv fixed in 11.x-12.x or not, now I just avoid using
it and linking against it as possible, still having no time to
experiment to find that out.
Also, why not to try to build firebird with gcc, not clang.