current: cd /lib ; ln -s libncurses.so.9 libncurses.so.8 xterm & ffox

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 2 18:57:39 UTC 2020

On 2 Apr 2020, at 09:59, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 08:01:35PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> On 2020-04-01 02:22, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>>> Hi ports@
>>> A libcurses version problem:
>>>
>>> Running 13.0-CURRENT with
>>> /usr/src
>>>  cat .svn_revision 359319
>>>  cat .ctm_status src-cur 14430
>>> /usr/ports
>>>  cat .svn_revision 529842
>>>  cat .ctm_status ports-cur 13423
>>>
>>> After
>>>  pkg upgrade
>>>  pkg autoremove
>>> xterm & firefox failed with
>>>  ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libncurses.so.8" not found, required by "xterm"
>>> Next to look at /usr/src/
>>> ObsoleteFiles.inc
>>> 	# 20200220: Upgrade of ncurses, shlib bumped to version 9
>>> 	OLD_LIBS+=lib/libncurses.so.8
>>
>> Yeah, this ncurses bump was handled pretty badly, as it breaks almost all
>> installed ports (and a bunch of base programs too, if you are unlucky).
>> Isn't there any compat package for it yet?
>>
>> -Dimitry
> ??
>
> When the bump occured a month ago, an UPDATING entry was added as usual to warn
> everyone, a compat12x package has been created immediatly and all the packages
> have been rebuilt. What else could have been done? Can you explain me what I
> have badly done here?

Sorry about that, I realized that I was totally off-base here.  At that
time I was simply annoyed that I had to rebuild all my ports againn, as
I mostly don't use packages.  And I wasn't aware ncurses was added to
the compat12 package, I simply backed up my old ncurses.so.8
everywhere...

-Dimitry