Dovecot packages

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu May 23 00:44:34 UTC 2019

> On 22 May 2019, at 16:23, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
>
> Doug Hardie wrote on 2019/05/23 00:41:
>
> [...]
>
>> Unless you notice this interesting anomaly, you can get easily burned like I did.  I would recommend that either the dovecot2 package be deleted, or at least kept current with the dovecot package.
>
> There is no dovecot2 package in the official FreeBSD repository / ports tree: https://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=dovecot
>
> You have very stale packages on your machines and you didn't read instructions in UPDATING file of "pkg updating" command:

Thats quite interesting.  When I run pkg updating command, the first entry is dated 20160616.

pkg-1.10.5_5                   Package manager

# freebsd-version -ku
12.0-RELEASE-p3
12.0-RELEASE-p3

brain# pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
brain# pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Same results on all my machines.

> 20170807:
>  AFFECTS: users of mail/dovecot2 and mail/dovecot2-pigeonhole
>  AUTHOR: adamw at FreeBSD.org
>
>  Now that dovecot1 has been removed from the ports tree, dovecot2
>  and dovecot2-pigeonhole have been renamed to simply dovecot and
>  dovecot-pigeonhole.
>
>  pkg should handle the rename automatically, but if you run into
>  trouble, you can point pkg at the new origin via:
>
>  # pkg set -o mail/dovecot2:mail/dovecot
>  # pkg set -o mail/dovecot2-pigeonhole:mail/dovecot-pigeonhole
>
>  Similarly, you can point portmaster at the new location via:
>
>  # portmaster -o mail/dovecot mail/dovecot2
>
>  If all else fails, just remove and reinstall the package:
>
>  # pkg delete dovecot2
>  # pkg install dovecot

That was the approach I used.  Worked fine.  Dovecot now works properly again.