Dovecot packages

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed May 22 22:41:29 UTC 2019

Some years ago I setup a server with dovecot2 package.  At that time there were 2 dovecot packages: dovecot which had a version of 1.x and dovecot2 which had a version of 2.x.  That made sense since dovecot v2 is quite different from v1.

As time went on I was upgrading that server to FreeBSD 12-RELEASE and just did a pkg upgrade during the upgrade process.  Dovecot upgraded to a more recent v2.x.  However, it no longer worked.  There were numerous error messages logged.  I thought that was strange since I had another system with dovecot v2 running just fine.  Eventually I discovered that the two dovecot packages have changed.  The working system was a dovecot package which is now v2.y where y is significantly greater than dovecot2 v2.x.  It appears that the dovecot package is now the one that is maintained and dovecot2 package has remained stagnant.

Unless you notice this interesting anomaly, you can get easily burned like I did.  I would recommend that either the dovecot2 package be deleted, or at least kept current with the dovecot package.

-- Doug