maintenance of gcc cross ports

James Shuriff james at opentech.cc
Sun May 19 17:48:22 UTC 2019

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 model b. I use the LLVM toolchain to build the system but the GNU toolchain is required to build U-Boot. U-Boot uses global register variables and LLVM doesn't support this. sysutils/u-boot-pine64 does use aarch64-none-elf-gcc, for the same reason. The family is allwinner64 and that's set to use aarch64-none-elf-gcc. Here is an article explaining the feature U-Boot uses that's not in LLVM (the reason GNU is required for building it):

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Global-Register-Variables.html

Aarch64 is a Tier 2 architecture. The toolchain should have an active maintainer (the maintainer is listed as ports at FreeBSD.org). I've opened a bug report for the bugs in the Makefile. We should be using a newer toolchain or separate arm-none-eabi and aarch64-none-elf from powerpc64. I am guessing the Makefile bugs occurred because the original designer didn't intend on powerpc64-gcc being used for targets like arm-none-eabi and aarch64-none-elf. The patches you pointed out before don't even have any effect on the bare metal ports. The arm and aarch64 bare metal ports are the oddballs in the group. The difference being: powerpc64-gcc, aarch64-gcc, amd64-gcc, i386-gcc, mips*-gcc, and sparc64-gcc are all intended for, as you said Mark, alternate toolchain work with FreeBSD. These are not the official toolchains for FreeBSD and I can see why they don't have the same level of care as the official toolchain. But the side effect of this is arm-none-eabi-gcc and aarch64-none-elf-gcc receive the same level of support, though they are *required* to build most FreeBSD systems on those platforms.

- James Shuriff