Can't compile www/node on rpi2

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Mar 27 01:47:39 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 08:07:48PM +0100, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:

> On 2019-03-26 19:07, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> >>
> >> Looks like you need to upgrade www/libnghttp2 as well. :)

> >> In general, www/node requires that all dependencies are up-to-date. The
> >> port doesn't explicitly list minimum versions of its dependencies, but I
> >> am beginning to think that it should (this is not the first time I have
> >> seen this kind of problem).
> >
> > You shouldn't have to list the minimum version for dependencies. If
> > someone is following the tip of the ports tree, it is expected that
> > all the port dependencies are up to date when building a port.

Not sure I understand this statement. How can one know the port's
dependencies until a build (or something equivalent) is attempted?

I'd understand the statement better if there were some way to identify
and check out "consistent" versions of the ports tree, for a particular
port and revision. Is such a thing possible?

> All the
> > port-management tools in ports-mgmt assume this, and build
> > port-dependancies as required. When building ports, it is always best
> > to use one of the build-tools (ie: poudriere, synth , portmaster)
> > instead of by hand.

I've played a little with portmaster, and it seemed more prone to stopping
unintentionally than a simple "make -DBATCH" in the port directory. IIRC,
it always stopped on stale but installed dependencies. Perhaps I'm doing
somthing dumb, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Could it merely be
the fact that I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3?

> I may not have to, no, but since I have had a couple of reports about
> build errors due to out-of-date dependencies, I can help out fellow
> users by giving them a helpful message instead of a daunting build error.
>
> Right? :)

Amen! Informative error messages are a huge help. Library names easily
associated with the port that made them would be another large help.
Some are obvious, but a few have been real headscratchers.

Thank you!

bob prohaska