Clang Import Breakage

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 23 23:57:18 UTC 2019

On 24 Mar 2019, at 00:22, Sean Bruno <sbruno at freebsd.org> wrote:

> audio/shout-idjc seems to have broken in a new and exciting way after
> the 8.0 import.
>
> It would appear that the ports infrastructure detects libssl and libogg
> exist (if the beginning of my logs are to be believed) but then are not
> used during libtool/LD stages later on resulting in missing symbols.
> This does not happen prior to the import so I am assuming I am missing
> something explicit here.
>
> http://beefy12.nyi.freebsd.org/data/head-amd64-default/p496405_s345355/logs/errors/libshout-idjc-2.4.2.log

This is fallout of <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/345349>,
which enabled --no-allow-shlib-undefined by default.  See also
<https://bugs.freebsd.org/236141>.  Executive summary: lots of programs
do not specify all their required libraries, a.k.a. "under-linking".

I haven't yet reverted lld's new default, since it seems that a lot of
under-linking fixes are now being made.  These problems will also occur
when linking with gold, for instance, so it is quite useful to solve
them once and for all.

-Dimitry