www/luakit users?

Milan Obuch freebsd-ports at dino.sk
Fri Mar 15 11:09:35 UTC 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:47:11 +0100
Stefan Hagen <sh+freebsd-ports at codevoid.de> wrote:

> Hi Milan,
>
> Milan Obuch wrote:
> > some time ago I tried to write port maintainer just to get bounce
> > back... Now I see maintainer is reset.
>
> Which E-Mail Address did you use? I took over the laukit port about a
> year ago when development started to happen again and the migration to
> webkit2 has happened.

Hi,

maintainer address from port at that time... ports at textmail.me

> > I am curious if I can find some other users of this really
> > interesting browser, maybe try to build development version...
> > There is no much info I found, but it still seems to be actively
> > developed, at least there are some new entries in issue tracker.
>
> It is surely not a mainstream browser, but you can find a few users on
> OFTC in #luakit

No idea what's OFTC is... but luakit is surely really interesting,
scripting abilities are interesting. Also, it is lightweight, at least
compared with standard browsers like chrome, firefox and similar.

> I agree that the issue tracker is a bit messy right now. Many entries
> are for the old webkit1 version of luakit. Some of them may not be
> valid anymore after the refactoring, some still might be. Some
> plugins could still be migrated.

Well, my personal preference for such a project would be mailing list
with archive, as it is quite common here, maybe wiki, which exists for
luakit too, but it is marked outdated. Current issue tracker would need
at least some easy to use search engine...

> > What I need find now is following: in a special arrangement, I have
> > luakit started directly from startx script, so I have some kind of
> > kiosk. Basically it works OK, I just need change mouse cursor shape.
> > Googling did not reveal anything for me, but maybe someone knows
> > better than I...
>
> So I assume after starting X you have the "X" shaped mouse cursor.

Yes - something like this. And some kind of arrow when hovering over
link.

> Will "xsetroot -cursor_name arrow" fix this for you?

I'll try - I just need to find the right place to put it in (startx
itself, or start from luakit...)

Thanks for hint.

Regards,
Milan

N. B. Here is a copy of my older mail, which bounced, jff (just for fun)

Hi,

this address is listed as maintainer of luakit port for FreeBSD...

Is it possible to use newer sources? There is no newer source tarball
published, but it should be possible to use some carefully chosen
snapshot from GitHub... That being written, I have no much experiences
with choosing the right one, actually I am just discovering luakit and
found it really interesting.

Also, I would like to change cursor shapes used in luakit. Could you
advice something? I am testing luakit in XFCE, but I have special setup
with luakit started directly from xinit with no window manager as well,
where this ability is requested.

Regards,
Milan