loose dependency

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 14 07:52:25 UTC 2019

Koichiro Iwao <meta at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <20190314062217.3wx3h2hp74mo3zja at icepick.vmeta.jp>:

me> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 03:12:43PM +0900, Koichiro Iwao wrote:
me> > On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:40:14PM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
me> > >  There is no easy solution to solve it completely because currently
me> > >  package dependency is solved in a strict manner including package
me> > >  names and version numbers, not only existence of specific files.
me> > >  Creating multiple ports which depend on each software or using
me> > >  FLAVORS to make it easier is a way to provide packages with every
me> > >  possible combinations of dependency and let one to choose.
me> >
me> > Specifically talking, net/tigervnc is the case. Actually, the dependency
me> > is build dependency not runtime. ImageMagick is used to create multiple
me> > sizes of icons such as 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 during the build. Whichever
me> > versions of ImageMagick in the current ports tree can be used for the
me> > purpose. Once the port is built, ImageMagick is not required at all and
me> > can be uninstalled if no other packages depends on it.
me> >
me> > I think FLAVORS does not fit such case. Creating
me> > net/tigervnc at ImageMagick[67] sounds me stupid. But If I specify IM6,
me> > IM7 users cannot build net/tigervnc due to ImageMagick conflict and
me> > vise cersa.
me> >
me> > I'm stuck :(
me>
me> BTW, what about this idea?
me>
me> I prepare pre-converted icons and put it to public_distfiles. The port
me> fetches it as EXTRA_DIST.  It still sounds me a little bit stupid but
me> I can remove the dependency on ImageMagick from the port...

 That is a workaround while increasing maintenance cost.  It is at the
 maintainer's discretion.

-- Hiroki