loose dependency

Koichiro Iwao meta at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 14 06:12:50 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 01:40:14PM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  There is no easy solution to solve it completely because currently
>  package dependency is solved in a strict manner including package
>  names and version numbers, not only existence of specific files.
>  Creating multiple ports which depend on each software or using
>  FLAVORS to make it easier is a way to provide packages with every
>  possible combinations of dependency and let one to choose.

Specifically talking, net/tigervnc is the case. Actually, the dependency
is build dependency not runtime. ImageMagick is used to create multiple
sizes of icons such as 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 during the build. Whichever
versions of ImageMagick in the current ports tree can be used for the
purpose. Once the port is built, ImageMagick is not required at all and
can be uninstalled if no other packages depends on it.

I think FLAVORS does not fit such case. Creating
net/tigervnc at ImageMagick[67] sounds me stupid. But If I specify IM6,
IM7 users cannot build net/tigervnc due to ImageMagick conflict and
vise cersa.

I'm stuck :(

--
meta <meta at FreeBSD.org>