[HEADS UP] Clang 8.0.0 upgrade on 13.0-CURRENT

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 6 09:09:16 UTC 2019

Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> writes:

> Charlie Li <ml+freebsd at vishwin.info> writes:
>
>>  The LLVM ports are still needed for those consumers that need their
>>  components, such as llvm-config and the like. Please refer to the aptly
>>  named wiki page again:
>>  https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyDoIHaveToBuildLLVMWhenIAlreadyHaveClangInstalled
>
> 	This was the thing I thinking about.
>
>>  Think of it this way: the base system toolchain is *based on* some
>>  released version of LLVM (or GCC) as of a particular revision of
>>  base/.  "Based on" means that components that are not critical to
>>  the actual functioning of the toolchain or otherwise useful to
>>  FreeBSD itself are bound to be stripped away when included and
>>  integrated in the base system.
>
> 	That may be the path of wisdom; and I understand keeping things
> working is a non-trivial job, for which I thank those who do it.
> 	Please understand my ... frustration ... in having to deal with
> the conseqences, particularly with regard to the ongoing drm changes.
> To return to my original point, this is why I suggested an entry in
> ports/UPDATING  - to let others in my position know of possible
> impact.

If you want to avoid duplication don't build/install base Clang e.g.,

  $ echo 'WITHOUT_TOOLCHAIN=1' >>/etc/src.conf
  $ make delete-old -C/usr/src
  $ pkg install llvm80
  $ ln -s clang80 /usr/local/bin/cc
  $ ln -s clang++80 /usr/local/bin/c++