[devel/arduino18] Adding a new board description.

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Mar 5 10:49:47 UTC 2019

On 2019-Mar-04 08:36:52 -0600, Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org> wrote:
>I'll find some time this week to see what I can do to bring the board
>manager back. It was removed when I initially ported Arduino 1.6.x
>because there was some conflict in the functionality itself with how
>we patch other bits, but I'm foggy on the details at this point
>because that's been a couple years.

I had a go at re-enabling the board manager and ran into a problem with
package_index.json.  The port installs native versions of all the IDE
dependencies, creates links from /usr/local/arduino/tools-builder to the
native versions and hand-crafts a package_index_bundled.json that says the
tool runs on the appropriate FreeBSD version (amd64-freebsd12 in my case).
If I start the board manages, the IDE downloads fresh copy of package data
and installs it as ~/.arduino15/package_index.json - this version is
unpatched and therefore only lists the "supported" tool versions (Linux,
MacOS & Windows), leading to a null pointer exception.

Interestingly, the release notes for 1.8.2 include:
* Allow BoardManager to fetch FreeBSD tools (thanks @kevans91)
so it seems you have previously fixed the board manager, but the fix
no longer works.

--
Peter Jeremy