Cleaning up pkg-message

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 9 11:52:46 UTC 2019

On 08/06/2019 19:29, Bob Eager wrote:
> The committer folded the README file into pkg-message, and I disagree
> with this:

> 2) It meant that an end user (without access to the ports tree) didn't
> have an immediate way to see the README contents.

That's not actually correct.

```
% pkg info -D pkgname
```

will display the pkg-message for any package no matter how installed, or
if there's a ports tree present or not.

However, I agree in general with your position: pkg-message is something
that needs to be used sparingly, and not to endlessly repeat either
trivial or out-dated messages.  The new UCL formatting stuff is an
excellent improvement in that regard.

	Cheers,

	Matthew