force github file extension for fetch? (tar.bz2 instead of tar.gz)

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 4 15:21:50 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:03:18AM -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> In attempting to build a new port (prusa3d slicer) I need another new
> port (wxWidgets).  The original distfile fetch of wxWidgets was a .tar.gz.
> The configure phase had an error; a search for the source of the error
> turned up a bug (old) which claimed the error was solved by fetching the
> distfile as a .tar.bz2.
> .tar.bz2 is the github *nix distfile for the port.
>
> Is it possible to force fetching of .tar.bz2 instead of .tar.gz if both are
> available?  Or how does one get around the problem?
>
> 11.2-RELEASE-p4
> relevant Makefile details:
>
> PORTNAME=       wxwidgets
> DISTVERSIONPREFIX=      v
> DISTVERSION=    3.1.2
> USE_GITHUB=     yes
> GH_ACCOUNT=     wxWidgets
> GH_PROJECT=     wxWidgets

GitHub only supports extracts using .tar.gz or .zip file formats.  Any
other format DOES NOT use USE_GITHUB but manually uploaded releases
files.

If you look at
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/releases/tag/v3.1.2
what USE_GITHUB allows you to download is the very last link, that they
call "Source code (tar.gz)", there is also a "Source code (zip)" that we
never used because tar.gz was more conveninent for us.  All other files
on that page have been manually uploaded by the maintainer, and cannot
be fetched using USE_GITHUB.

--
Mathieu Arnold