Vim 8.1 failing to update

lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sun Jun 2 17:45:02 UTC 2019

Vim 8.1 is failing to update from vim-8.1.1248 after trying to install /usr/ports/editors/vim/files/vietnamese_viscii.vim

Why is it trying to install this? I have no need for vitnekmese and don’t see anything in make config that mentions Vietnamese or any "alternate alphabet" language.

That actual error is

msgfmt --desktop -d . --template gvim.desktop.in -o gvim.desktop
msgfmt: Cannot convert from "ISO-8859-1" to "UTF-8". msgfmt relies on iconv(). This version was built without iconv().
*** Error code 1

libiconv doesn’t have a build option for UTF-8 and neither does gettext-tools (which installs msgfmt).

--
<[TN]FBMachine> I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble once for moving all
the bibles into the fiction section