devel/llvm80 requires many python 2.7 ports?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:57:47 UTC 2019

I just went to build llvm80 after discovering that I could not install the
package without moving from the drfault samba48 back to the deprecated
samba47.

When I try to build the port, I get:
Upgrade llvm80-8.0.0_2 to llvm80-8.0.1
Install textproc/py-recommonmark at py27
Install textproc/py-docutils at py27
Install textproc/py-sphinx at py27
Install devel/py-Jinja2 at py27
Install devel/py-babel at py27
Install devel/py-pytz at py27
Install textproc/py-MarkupSafe at py27
Install devel/py-typing at py27
Install graphics/py-imagesize at py27
Install textproc/py-alabaster at py27
Install textproc/py-pygments at py27
Install textproc/py-snowballstemmer at py27
Install textproc/py-pystemmer at py27
Install textproc/py-sphinx_rtd_theme at py27
Install textproc/py-sphinxcontrib-websupport at py27
Install www/py-requests at py27
Install dns/py-idna at py27
Install net/py-urllib3 at py27
Install net/py-ipaddress at py27
Install net/py-pysocks at py27
Install security/py-certifi at py27
Install security/py-cryptography at py27
Install devel/py-asn1crypto at py27
Install devel/py-cffi at py27
Install devel/py-pycparser at py27
Install security/py-openssl at py27
Install textproc/py-chardet at py27
Install devel/py-pytest-runner at py27
Install devel/py-setuptools_scm at py27

Is llvm80 really still stuck using v2 Python? I looked at the very complex
Makefile, and it's very clear: _USES_PYTHON?=  python:2.7,build

Will this going away some day soon? I know that end of 2.7 support is
approaching and I have only a handfull of python 2.7 ports left, mostly to
support print/hplip (HP printer drivers for CUPS) and hope to get rid of
them soime day soon.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com