weechat failing to load ruby.so after recent updates

Todd Wasson twasson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:36:42 UTC 2018

Hi all, I recently restarted weechat for the first time in awhile (1-2
months), and now it can't load ruby.so because of:

Error: unable to load plugin "/usr/local/lib/weechat/plugins/ruby.so"
/usr/local/lib/weechat/plugins/ruby.so: Undefined symbol "ruby_version"

`strings /usr/local/lib/weechat/plugins/ruby.so` reveals that ruby_version
is in the file.  I first saw this with the binary pkg installation, but
I've rebuilt weechat from source from the ports tree and that didn't
resolve the problem.  I also updated to 11.2-RELEASE after I first saw
this, which also had no effect, incidentally.  ktrace revealed nothing
useful, and I'm not sure what I should look for with dtrace.

Any thoughts?  I suspect this is more likely to be a FreeBSD-specific
problem than a general weechat problem, as I see no reports (other than a
random pastebin paste) of this anywhere online.  Any help would be
appreciated!

Todd