Problems building rust with poudriere

Lorenzo Salvadore phascolarctos at protonmail.ch
Sun Nov 4 14:47:22 UTC 2018

> Hello,
>
> For some time, I've had problems building rust with poudriere.
>
> Poudriere log: https://borderworlds.dk/~xi/rust-1.30.0.log.txt
>
> It looks like the system is running out of swap as I get this in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Oct 30 05:15:31 xindi kernel: pid 68935 (rustc), uid 65534, was killed:
> out of swap space
>
> The build host had 6GB og RAM and 14GB of swap. I think that ought to be
> enough for building mostly anything.
>
> Has anyone else observed this behaviour?
>
> Best regards
> Christian

6 GB of RAM and 14 GB of swap are surely enough, since I can build rust on
my system with 4 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap.

I suspect the poudriere's jail has not access to all of that memory for some
reason or some other process in your system eats much memory. The
poudriere's jail itself surely eats some: I do not know how much, but I do not
think it is a small amount.

Lorenzo Salvadore.