options DOCS + EXAMPLES

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Fri Nov 2 10:28:45 UTC 2018

Am 02.11.2018 um 10:49 schrieb Harry Schmalzbauer:
> Hello,
>
> found out that the need to define DOCS and EXAMPLES in OPTIONS_DEFINE
> was made mandatory some time ago, which ports-mgmt/portlint isn't
> aware about yet (found https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13036).
>
> I intentionally haven't defined it, because I want to make use of the
> bsd.ports.mk handling of PORTDOCS and PORTEXAMPLES, but don't want to
> spam the UI.  EXAMPLES and DOCS shall stay mandatory for my port, as
> long as the user changes the corresponding defaults.
>
> How do I hide the user selection for EXAMPLES and DOCS after the
> change (which I wasn't able to find by reading commit logs)?

Confused bsd.port.options.mk with bsd.options.mk, so I found the
corresponding commit
(https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=479410).

If a port has only a view DOCS and/or EXAMPLES files, consuming very
little space, the user shouldn't get naged about installing it or not.

The OPTIONS dialog is already real pain, where the user get's overloaded
with hardly usable descriptions and without hints about consequences
about changing different options – they all look the same while having
enourmous different impact on change.

Adding two completely meaningless choices (at least for my and many
other ports I know) makes the dialog notably worse in my opinion.
It does make absolutely no difference if myreadme.txt is in placed into
a standards directory or not; even not on systems with very very limited
inodes/space since pkg requires many orders of magnitudes more resources
anyways, so the for sub½GB-setups, the public ports/pkg distribution
isn't usable, hence the N indoes / N kb more ore less can't justify two
more choices for _all_ ports which want to utilize %%PORTDOCS%% and
%%PORTEXAMPLES%%.

Of course there are ports where EXAMPLES or especially DOCS make a big
difference, especially if DOCS require additional build dependencies.
But these should be handled separatly instead of forcing all others to
show never changing options.

-harry