Heads-up: linker (lld) changes for amd64 coming soon

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 29 17:14:47 UTC 2018

On 27 March 2018 at 18:21, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
> (Moved from -current to -ports)
>
> On 27 March 2018 at 13:15, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Fair enough - this was the reason I sent the email. I've now gone
>> through and submitted a PR for for each failure that did not already
>> have one. I've also added LLD_UNSAFE to a few ports where where it was
>> straightforward.
>
> Via tobik's commit to lang/myrddin (r465725) I discovered
> BINARY_ALIAS=ld=ld.bfd, which is a usable workaround for some ports
> which don't honour $LD or -fuse-ld=bfd in CFLAGS.

As of ports r465900 BINARY_ALIAS is now set automatically if LLD_UNSAFE is set.

There are now 14 PRs open for failures when lld is /usr/bin/ld. Thanks
to recent commits from krion@ all unmaintained ports that had issues
have been addressed, except for print/openprinting (PR221809) and some
openal-related failures (PR226980). I'll try to take a look at the
openal issues; it's likely that the interim solution will be just to
set LLD_UNSAFE in all of the dependent ports.

The remaining 12 PRs are all for maintained ports. I believe that now
the only port responsible for a significant number of skipped
dependent ports is lang/ghc (PR226872).