FreeBSD Port: py27-qt5-core / Py36-qt5-core

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 28 10:26:46 UTC 2018

On 03/28/18 00:16, Pete Wright wrote:
>>> Regardless, the clock is ticking on the 2.x codebase
>>> as it is reaching EOL status in 2020:
>>>
>>> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/
>>>
>>> Hopefully a solid deadline (which has already been pushed back) will
>>> motivate developers to accelerate the task of migrating to py3 sooner
>>> rather than later.
>> Speaking strictly as the maintainer of the calibre port and having
>> discovered just now about this deadline:
>>
>> I don't know what the calibre developer plans to do about this, I'm
>> certainly unable to port calibre to python 3, so I will do the best to
>> keep it working for as long as python 2.7 is available in the ports, or
>> update the port to use python 3 once the upstream does port it to that
>> version.
>>
> this is a really tricky situation to be in no doubt, i wonder if
> surfacing concerns about the impending 2.x EOL with upstream maintainers
> would be a good way to nudge them into supporting py3? it's certainly
> possible that the deadline in pep-373 hasn't been widely disseminated to
> the developer community?

Looks like there is active work in the py-mechanize package to port it
to python 3, most done by the calibre author himself, so it looks like
he's performing steps required to move calibre to python 3...First he
needs to fix dependencies.

So maybe something is moving, even if slowly.

> i'm not super active in the python community to be honest - but in my
> role as a systems engineer this is something i've highlighted with teams
> whose code i help support and have had mixed success with.  usually
> along the lines of "hey, so py2.7 is EOL'ing in 2020 do we have a
> document with our migration strategy?"

Looks like the calibre developer is well informed, Let's see what time
will bring us. 2020 isn't too far, but still some time has to go.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>