make[1]: cannot open Makefile for new custom port

Chris H portmaster at BSDforge.com
Sat Jun 23 21:30:16 UTC 2018

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 14:36:05 -0400 "Joseph Ward" <jbwlists at hilltopgroup.com> said

> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to make my first port which is attempting to literally
> unpack a tgz into the correct location.  I'm wanting a port, as I want
> this to be versioned and upgradable on all my systems via pkg (as well
> as to handle dependencies, etc).
>
> I'm attempting to use make makeplist to create the initial pkg-plist as
> there are a lot of files present, and I'm getting the following error:
>
> # make makeplist
> ===>  License BSD4CLAUSE accepted by the user
> ===>   nebula-db-0.1 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
> ===> Fetching all distfiles required by nebula-db-0.1 for building
> ===>  Extracting for nebula-db-0.1
> => SHA256 Checksum OK for nebula-db-0.1.tar.gz.
> ===>  Patching for nebula-db-0.1
> ===>  Configuring for nebula-db-0.1
> ===>  Staging for nebula-db-0.1
> ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> make[1]: cannot open Makefile.
>
> make[1]: stopped in
> /usr/local/poudriere/ports/nebula/misc/nebula-db/work/nebula-db-0.1
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/ports/nebula/misc/nebula-db
>

> I get this when I do "make stage" as well.

Greetings Joseph,
I'm not sure if I follow you exactly. But if I understand you correctly;
you're looking to create a pkg-plist file via make makeplist, and your
port doesn't actually build anything (contains installation files?).
You need a minimum of
Makefile
distindo
pkg-descr
in your port directory.
for a minimum Makefile for what I understand your port to do. The
following should work:
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=
PORTVERSION=
CATEGORIES=
MASTER_SITES=

MAINTAINER=
COMMENT=

LICENSE=
LICENSE_FILE=	(if necessary)

USES=		tar:txz
NO_BUILD=	yes

.include <bsd.port.mk>

note the key here is NO_BUILD
you mention your distfile uses tar(1) and xz(1). The above example
assumes the extension name is .txz ; adjust as needed. You will
(of couse) need to fill all the empty fields as needed, as well as
add || subtract them, as needed.

Hope this helps.

--Chris