Removing git dependencies on perl5 and python27

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 17 10:06:39 UTC 2018

On 17 Jun 2018, at 00:04, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi <mqudsi at neosmart.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 3:24 AM, Franco Fichtner <franco at lastsummer.de> wrote:
>> The bottom line is that excluding Perl and Python support from git
>> will make it only usable for automated shell scripting.
>>
>> Interactive parts require Perl or Python so there is nothing to be
>> gained from breaking POLA for existing users of the git FreeBSD
>> package or git software in general as any random tutorial out there
>> may not work for FreeBSD anymore.
>>
>> For emphasis, this is suboptimal at best...
>
> I did not realize that even basic functionality like `git add -i` required
> perl; I am very surprised that isn't implemented in C (at least by now).

Git was started as a random collection of perl scripts, shell scripts
and a smattering of C sources originally. Since there is no (or does not
seem to be) any overall architecture, it does not seem likely that this
will ever be solved. :)

> Personally speaking, it is the dependency on python27 rather than perl5 that I
> find more distasteful (due to the size and scope). Do you know what features
> python unlocks? (Not that this proposal has half as much bite if perl5 is
> retained..)

You can disable the python dependency by unchecking the CONTRIB and P4
port options.

-Dimitry