Of Git and M$

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Jun 15 14:26:48 UTC 2018

A related discussion reminded me of this: how would Microsoft's purchase
of GitHub affect future development?  After all, they'll get to call the
shots...[*]  The only good thing that came out of M$ is their RTF document
format (used natively by the Mac's TextEdit utility, for example), which
being plain ASCII can be edited directly if necessary (and I have).

I've been looking at BitKeeper, for example, the author of which (Larry
McEvoy) I happen to know from another mailing list.  Apparently,
converting from Git is as simple as: "git fast-export | bk fast-import".

And no, before some here accuse me of being a shill for BK, I have nothing
to do with the product whatsoever, other than as someone looking for an
alternative to something now owned by M$ (and I've used just about
everything since SCCS).

[*]
Remember their motto: "Embrace, extend, extinguish".

-- Dave, who has been called paranoid before