bind911 fatal error with LMDB and allow-new-zones in chrooted environment

Ciernik Tomas tomas at ciernik.sk
Mon Jun 11 12:43:48 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am experiencing fatal error during start after upgrading bind99 to
bind911.

I used soon-to-be-EOL bind99 in chrooted environment with support for
dynamically adding of zones. With upgrade to bind911 I decided to add
support for LMDB, too.

With this configuration (chroot, lmdb support, allow-new-zones in
named.conf) bind refuses to start with error

mdb_env_open of '_default.nzd' failed: No such file or directory

although bind user has full ACL for working directory.

Did I overlook something? Problem was resolved by disabling support for
LMDB, but it will be nice to have this feature included.

Maybe interesting point - new file _default.nzd-lock is added into
working directory, his owner is root and ACLs are 600.

Thank you in advance,

Tomas.