kmod driver incompatibilities with 11.1R created packages used on 11.2R

Emanuel Haupt ehaupt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 24 07:37:56 UTC 2018

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 2:39 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch at skunkwerks.at>
> wrote:
>
> > We've probably all seen the problems that non-developer users have
> > run into with the various packages that have a dependency on kernel
> > versions, when using the official pkg.freebsd.org built versions.
> >
> > We know that the problem will go away as soon as 11.1R is EOL end
> > September, but in the interim I can imagine this must be really
> > frustrating for people who don't have a familiarity with building
> > from sources. Is there anything we can do to help them? they're
> > often newcomers to FreeBSD so their new user experience is crap.
> >
> > Here's a few ideas, but there may be better ones:
> >
> > - put a note in pkg-message informing users of the issue and a link
> > to a forums.freebsd.org post on how to build it manually
> > - add something to the port's pkg-install script to only display
> > that message on < 11.2R kernels
> > - provide an alternative pkg repo so they don't have to build from
> > source (possibly community supported)
> >
> > I'm specifically thinking of x11/nvidia-driver here but there are
> > presumably other packages impacted from
> > https://www.freshports.org/kld/
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
> >
> > A+
> > Dave
> >

> The only other case I have seen reported (and reported frequently) is
> emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod. It is particularly nasty in that

For me it's also x11/nvidia-driver and multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod.

I used to lock (pkg lock ...) the packages during the transition time.
Now I am lucky enough to have my own build server where I build
specifically on 11.2

I agree that this is not a satisfactory solution for our users.

Emanuel